RedMonk‘s comparison of programming languages on Github and Stack Overflow shows some interesting things in the landscape of programming languages.
- Java is (still) not dead.
- Google’s Go has entered the Top 20.
- The rise of Swift. It is used as PR for Apple but it also results is some heavy discussions in the comments.
- CSS is seen as a programming language.
- There must be lots of topics on SQL and XML on Stack Overflow while there are very few projects on Github for these languages.
- R is “the” language for statistical analysis.
- C# closes the Top 5. One of the commenters assumes that it is not ranked higher because of it’s wide use in the enterprise environments. I guess there’s some truth about it since this comparison is between tags on Stack Overflow and projects on GitHub.
- There are just too many programming languages.